Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Such a problem.

I tried quantifying how much extra work book sales are requiring right now. I think it's roughly about 8 hours of ordering, 8 hours of stocking, and an hour of breaking down and recycling boxes. 

Fortunately, I'm available to do that. Plus I kind of enjoy it. 

I'd already decided that as long as this surge lasts, I'll dedicate the time to it. Books and graphic novels now account for 2/3rds the total sales at Pegasus Books. We've more or less turned into a bookstore with comics, cards, games, and toys available.

Who'd have thunk it?

I finally got my step tracker back on, and it appears that I take about 9K steps per day when I'm working at the store. I remember back five years or so when it was half that much. But we're so busy I never sit down. If nothing else, I need to constantly put the store back into order after the waves of customers pass through. 

I keep thinking I'll vacuum the store from top to bottom, but there is never time--and the minute I turn the vacuum on, the store fills up with customers. 

Such a problem.

Basically, I'll need to dedicate a couple of hours a week to store chores while the door is locked. 

I'm very grateful that this has worked out. When I first came back to work and decided to go all in on books, I expected a slight increase, not this deluge. I never even considered that it would entail a lot more work. 

Oh, well. As I say, such a problem.