Saturday, May 1, 2021

Using the word "evil."

Using the word "evil" to describe someone is usually pretty much over the top. I mean, Hitler. Stalin, Mao. Evil motherfuckers.

Anyway, there is one person in my lifetime who I had a visceral reaction to that seemed stronger than was warranted. All I know is I hated the guy.

Jack Welch, CEO of General Electric for many years and while in charge considered the "best" CEO in the world. But reading an interview with him 20 years ago was enough to make me want to assassinate him.

For example, it was his philosophy to fire 10% of his workforce every year. 

This is evil. But it's also stupid on the face of it, and it represents all that is wrong with corporate America. It's shortsighted, to say the least. It was just the tip of his psychopathic iceberg. Repellent and alarming that he was so lionized.

So sure enough, twenty years later, General Electric has crashed. Big surprise. Most of the blame is laid on his successor, but only after Fucking Welch squeezed the corp. (corpse?) for all it was worth. The corporate practices he instigated came back and bit them in the ass.

 See: "Lights Out: Pride, Delusion, and the Fall of General Electric," by Ted Mann and Thomas Gryta.

So I'm going to say this out loud. Corporations aren't efficient or smart. They are the end result of market forces pushing one company to the top, usually because of small factors, and only later is that success documented in a Confirmed Bias sort of manner. 

Big corporations are big. That's all. They are dinosaurs who crush everything beneath their feet until they go extinct.

They all go the way of Sears and Montgomery Ward and Barnes and Noble and Blockbuster and...well, all of them eventually. I've seen some rise and fall in my forty year career as a small business owner. 

But they make millions, billions! I hear you say. Yeah, well, somebody will, and these behemoths just happened to be enabled. Fuck them.

No comments: