Sunday, February 21, 2021

We are re-upping our lease again.

I suppose it makes sense that Pegasus Books would do so well near the end of my career. I've had all this time to get it right.

But that's not what I see around me. Most stores seem to limp to the finish line, so I think this is fairly rare. Indeed, most stores--99% of them--don't last this long at all. There's basically no one left downtown that was there when I started 40 years ago that are owned by the same people. Assume there is someone I'm not counting--that's the 1%. 

It's also an example of the cycles in business that just seem to be built in, if you last long enough. We go from being popular to being unpopular and everywhere in-between. We just to seem to be on a roll right now. 

The cycle will turn again, this I know. But my efforts over the last 25 years has been to diversify so that we always have options. I think this is the right answer in a town like Bend, which while it has grown, is still somewhat isolated, and which is subject to business cycles perhaps more than most towns.

I'm having fun right now. As I came to realize with the first crash 30 years ago, you need to either have fun or make money. Right now, we're getting both. 

I'm very grateful for a supportive landlord and customers and my manager, Sabrina, and especially to Linda for hanging in there with me. It's often been a struggle but when it works, it makes up for it. Thank you. 

We intend to keep the store going, with or without me.

No comments: