Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Those who get ahead, get ahead. Just lurk and pounce.

One nice thing about running a current surplus is that I feel free to take advantage of every "sale" that comes along. Some of my suppliers offer weekly sales, sometimes more than one. Any time I can get legit product at a major discount I figure it's a bonus, even if it's not material that will sell right away.

My theory is--have a constant supply of new material running through the store. I liken it to a thin layer of new snow on top of a thick layer of dirty snow. Makes the store look shiny.

Besides, I've learned that just about anything can sell...even, eventually, that most things will sell. I may have to offer a big discount to someone down the road, but I'll know that doing that isn't really putting us backwards. 

It's also a way to test things. I mean, me and Sabrina have already ordered the stuff we think will sell. Most of this liquidated stuff are things we didn't order. So how do we know if we're right? How do we find out if things we aren't currently ordering isn't stuff we really should order?

Well, buying a discount makes sense to test the water. I'm often surprised. 

There are comic stores out there that still don't do graphic novels, which is a huge mystery to me. All they have to do is wait and Marvel or DC or Dark Horse or Image or IDW or Titan will have some big liquidation sale. How can they lose? Toys, posters, graphic novels. Just lurk and pounce.

No comments: