Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Still writing, at least.

Short stories.

I just haven't had the heart to write a full novel again. Writing a novel requires all my attention, every day, every hour. It takes total commitment. Everything else has to slide. 

Basically, I'm lazy.

Then again, I've published 26 novels, 23 of them over the last 8 years. 18 of them were print novels, and 8 more as ebooks. I've had 8 publishers in my career. I've also written a fairly large number of novels that I haven't felt were up to standards. Some of them may still get done, a couple of them I think could be good, but...

I gave it my best. 

The only reason to keep writing is to take it to the next level.

Did I mention, I'm lazy?

I've identified the things I need to do, but they basically come down to working harder, spending more time. Which, you know, is hard for a lazy person. 

But ideas still come to me. The urge to write still nags me. 

I sat down a couple of months ago and wrote a short story. It was fun and fulfilling creatively, and it didn't take a whole lot of time an effort. I published it on my blog. No fuss, no muss.

I sent off a longer story to a publisher, specifically tailored to an anthology. I don't actually expect it to be accepted, but what the hell. It doesn't hurt to try. If it is rejected, I'll just put it up on my blog site. One thing I discovered though was that working within the perimeters of a publisher's needs is a prompt for me. It's much easier to come with specific ideas if I know what they want.

Another small publisher mentioned she wanted to do a werewolf anthology next, so I went to bed wondering if I could come up with an idea. Baby werewolf? Women werewolves who must mate and then eat their mates in order to produce offspring? 

Then I happened on a unique idea, and I've started writing it. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has done it, but I don't want to know. I just want to write it. 

Again, writing a short story is satisfying and doesn't bog me down. I have no idea if I'm any good at it. I suspect I'm probably a better long story writer, but...

Came up with another story idea a month or so ago, and I'm still planning to finish that story too. All of these stories will probably end up on my blog and I suppose if I assemble enough of them, I might find a cover for them and put them on Amazon as a collection. 

Still writing, at least.

No comments: