Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Hopes for a Merry and Prosperous Season.

The last two weeks before Christmas are nerve-wracking. It's a very vulnerable time. Any emergency, and deep snowfall, any illness and the season could disappear or be crippled. So every year I hold my breath. It's very difficult to get into the Christmas spirit when you own a retail store--at least, it is for me.

The next few days are usually a little slow. It then comes down to the last ten days, which are like a Tsunami. You just hang on for dear life and hope for the best. 

On the other hand, the huge sense of relief I feel every year on Christmas Eve is amazing. It's like every bone in my body softens and I can finally relax. I browse my store and pick up stuff for home and family and myself that I've had my eye on and somehow managed not to be bought. 

Back to being a little nervous the week after Christmas, but by then, I pretty much know how the month has gone. 

Though the first six months of every year are relatively slow, that has it's benefits. It's not as nerve-wracking because it's already baked into the cake. Percentages up or down don't matter quite so much as long as ordering product matches it. 

But Christmas. That's when all debts are paid and when money is set aside for the slow months. 

So I hope for snow in the mountains, but not down here. I hope that everyone stays healthy. I hope that no catastrophe happens in the world. 

I hope for a merry, prosperous season.


No comments: