Monday, December 21, 2020

Bad retailer humor.

 No time to relax. Last year we earned nearly half our sales in the last ten business days of the month. That starts today. The next four days are the most critical.

Yesterday we were so busy, I almost asked people to wait outside for the first time. Instead, I opened the door, which I never do. Got some circulation going. 

At one point I looked up and said aloud, "Why can't it be this way all year?"

No one laughed, no one even cracked a smile. Bad retailer humor. 

It was busy. About as busy as one person can handle. For the next five business days, we're going to have two people for the middle part of the day.

I just made my biggest ever book order--mostly just stuff we've sold. I'm determined to keep the inventory up no matter what.

I have my son, Todd's, postcard art near the register. Every once in a while, someone will go, "Oh, those are really cool." To which I say, "There are two kinds of people: those without taste and those with taste." Bad retailer humor. 

Had a woman stand at my enamel pins exclaiming how expensive they were and how they weren't even the "real" art. Then Karen left. I managed to keep my mouth shut. 

We're at the stage in the month where people's requests can be oddly specific. Also--probably a little too late to ask for chess sets, Mandalorian anything, and whatever obscure item that I only had one of...

But I have to say, this is fun.


No comments: