Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Luddites.

To follow up on my "funk" post about the bookstore in Hood River. It turns out that neither the owner or his employee own computers or smart phones. The owner apparently doesn't even have electricity in his home.

So that got me wondering. How would I handle a world without the digital?

I was a Luddite for a long time. I didn't want a computer or a smart phone. I don't remember how that changed. It was more of a slow process, one thing dragging me into another.

But I'm definitely in the camp now. I spend a lot of time online.

What would I do without it? Probably read a great deal more. In fact, I only have to look back about 40 years to know how it would be.

I often point out how bloody hard it was to write books on typewriters. Just the physical process itself was grueling and I suspect kept people from finishing books. Having information at my fingertips is wonderful, especially for information gathering personality types like me. So no...there is no way I could go back. But the truth is--I hadn't even thought about it for a long time.

Truth is, I couldn't have Pegasus Books without a computer--or maybe I could, but it would be ten times harder.

It would be interesting, though.

Just me and time and books.

No comments: