Monday, March 11, 2019

A Beatles shelf at Pegasus Books.

Went down a Beatles rabbithole yesterday.

Spent all day listening to YouTube podcasts about the Beatles. I recently read "Tune In," by Mark Lewisohn, which is the definitive history of the Beatles. It takes them up to the release of their first record, which sounds early, but John, Paul, and George had been together for something like 6 years by then. It's a very dense read, but really gives a great perspective on how they came to be. Explains why they were so great, and how lucky it all was that they stayed together long enough and met the right people (especially Epstein and Martin.)

I think what spurred all this was the trailer for the movie "Yesterday." I absolutely loved the premise. In fact, while I was looking around, I came across a number of "reviews" of the trailer. Apparently, this is thing. There are tons of people who post their reactions to trailers--which is a little like reviewing a restaurant based on its menu, but whatever...

I hope this movie will awaken some love in the Millennials who probably think the Beatles are old hat.

In fact, I've decided to start a Beatles bookshelf at Pegasus Books. Why? Because I can.

I might throw in some Dylan and Rolling Stones while I'm at it. Good old Sixties rock & roll.

No comments: