Sunday, November 19, 2017

A paucity of good TV shows.

This is probably the least number of shows I can remember that Linda and I regularly watch. Only six that are currently running.

Gotham: I like this quite a lot. A nice take on the DC universe, and it hasn't devolved into silly soap opera like so many of these shows do. (I'm looking at you, Supergirl, Flash, and ugh...Green Arrow.)

Lucifer: What it does, it does very well. Wouldn't work without the lead actor. The human detective is a bit boring, (and I can't take my eyes off her weird eyebrows) but the side characters are fun.

Walking Dead: I'll see it through to the end, dammit! I'm getting a little tired of the Mythologizing of the lead characters as if they're badasses when they're mostly lame. (Except Carol. Carol is a badass.) And zombies? What zombies?

Exorcist: This is an original show that goes there. The only thing I don't like is the younger priest ignoring the advice of the older priest as stupid conflict meme. Because he never learns? Whatever.

The Orville: Absolutely stupid and bonkers and I really enjoy it.

Ghosted: Is this a sitcom? I'm not sure, but it's the first half hour show I've watched in years. It's fun, the characterization is right on. Like a live action Futureama.


That's it. I dislike sitcoms, reality shows, so it's mostly dramas, and mostly with a genre twist.

Not counting Stranger Things, which I love like everyone else, Game of Thrones, which is great, Mindhunter which was interesting, but needs to be a little better to keep me.

There is one new show we're only four episodes into, but I'm really liking it a lot.

The Punisher: The reviewers seem to think this is too grim. It's the FUCKING PUNISHER! I think it has exactly the right tone. And it's so far leaving out all the angst that made me stop watching Iron Fist and Daredevil.  Straight ahead story. Good stuff.

Finally, I'm going to weigh in with probably an unpopular opinion about Thor: Ragnarok.

First of all,  to be clear, I liked it. It was loads of fun.

But the tone of the movie, following Wonder Woman and the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, is a little worrisome.

It came perilously to being campy. I believe campy is the end to all good series. Superman I and II devolves to Superman V,  Batman (original) devolves to George Clooney.

Campy is a certain lack of respect, Hollywood showing its true opinion of the subject matter. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

It's a dangerous direction to be going.

Yes, I understand that movies like Superman versus Batman went too far the other direction. Too serious and grim.

Wonder Woman to me struck just the right tone, and the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. But already by the second GoG movie, campy was creeping in.

Mark my words, Hollywood is going to take the wrong lesson from the success of these movies.

Just saying.

No comments: