Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I like books.

I like reading books.  I like writing books.  I like selling books.  I like being around books.

I like filing books.

Spent yesterday afternoon filing books at Linda's store, The Bookmark.  There is something really gratifying about it.  Examining the books, figuring what they're about, maybe reading the blurb on the back.  Seeing how they fit with the other books.  When, who, and why they were published.

Then getting them in the right slot and getting them squared away.

Just very fulfilling somehow.

I could easily run a used bookstore, except for one thing.  Trading.  First person who challenged me on what I offered them, or who  misunderstood the terms, and I'd want to go running.

I have eliminated buying and trading from customers at my own store.  I buy wholesale or not at all.

It would actually be monetarily beneficial to trade or buy books from customers at Pegasus Books.  But it would be psychologically devastating.  My soul would be squeezed.  My emotions would be roiling.

So I made a choice, the right choice, to keep selling books, comics, toys and games at Pegasus Books, but to just be a retailer.

Obviously, as a used bookstore, we need trade-ins.  The more the better.

So having Linda or one of the employees dealing with that is fine.  I can run around her store straightening and filing and be perfectly content.

No comments: