Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday things.

College football exists to teach you the Zen of not-desire.

You can't get hurt if you don't care.

Oregon Ducks quacked it.

**********

OWS seems to be hitting some tipping point.

Interesting.

I think the kids are digging the 60's vibe, man.

**********

I feel like I can more or less ignore the digital books. I can just keep buying book/books for the store, if I think I can sell them.

But comics? DC and Marvel own about 80% of the market share between them and they are plunging willy nilly into the digital world and I can't do a thing about it. In fact, if I want to carry their product, I also apparently have to cut my own throat by having digital as part of the package.

It's their funeral, I guess.

I just keep on diversifying.

I have games as a object lesson. Biggest thing in the world are video games -- and yet I can still manage to sell old-fashioned (well, new-fashioned, old-fashioned) boardgames.

**********

I've been waking up in the middle of the night. Which isn't normal for me. Not sure why.

It takes me a couple hours to get back to sleep.

I don't feel particularly more worried than before. I've been staying up later, trying to avoid this, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Just one of those things, I guess.

**********

Interesting, when you look at a picture of protesters fleeing tear gas, you can't be sure if its Egypt or America....

**********

A year or so ago, I was drawing a neat little diagram for my customers, that explicated my analysis of the e-books.

It was a graph with two lines, that crossed in the middle.

One was the age of the ebook reader, crossed by the age of readers in general.

"When the age of the readers meets the age of the ebook reader, it will be all over."

Thing is, I had the graph backward. I can see that now. The assumption was that ebook readers would be younger, and most book readers were older, so the lines crossed in the middle, like an X.

Instead, it pretty clear that it's older, more affluent readers who are buying ebooks. So the future is already here. The lines are running parallel upward.

I think the adoption rate will slow down as those readers who are interested and can afford to go that route are absorbed.

But -- as you can see, I've been wrong before.

**********

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hooray, board games! We mashed up a Beginner's version of our RPG and smashed it all into a board game-sized box. :D
The upcoming "Arcanum" and "Guards! Guards!" games look awesome as well. :)