Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday such.

The birds drinking the water in our clogged gutters and shitting all over our decks.

I got up on a lawn chair to see if it was easy fix. Next thing I know, I'm on my back, my feet and legs bleeding, from breaking through the plastic.

This is how it ends.

**********

Speaking of wolves.

"Nature" had a show a week ago that showed how wildlife has come back strong in the area around Chernobyl.

In other words, humans are way, way more toxic to wildlife than melted reactors....

**********

Read four weeks worth of New York Times this week. Had fallen behind.

You know what? It feels like I have read half the articles from 4 weeks ago in the meantime somewhere else.

What will happen to news in this country when the primary sources go away?

**********

Either the Boys and Girls Clubs have a lot of bad luck, or there are some bad decisions being made. A little of both, I suspect. The bad decisions are probably arising in an understandable desire to save money...

***********

Owning a home.

Bringing in all the hoses, closing all the vents, cleaning the gutters...where's a landlord when you need one?

************

"The Other Zuckerberg, Now Out On Her Own."

""RtoZ Media, to help companies take advantage of social media."

It seems like half the "high-tech" businesses I read about, even locally, are based on a variation of this.

It all seems sort of bogus to me. Let me show you how to advertise? Let me show you how to use social media?

Couldn't you hire a 17 year old to show you the same things a lot cheaper?

***********

HEH.

Out of the five books in the review pages of the Bulletin this morning, two are graphic novels. The classic Maus, and the newer Habibi. (Both, I might mention, I always keep in stock.)

A third review is about George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

At least the intelligentsia are taking graphic literature seriously.

You'd think between all the movies and T.V. shows and the great S.F. and Fantasy books, and the reviews in major media, that comics would be booming.

You'd think that, huh.

**********

Growing up, there was always Ray LeBlanc (obit today) and Dutch (and the inimitable Ruth) Stover around, here in Bend.

I used to mow the Stover's lawn down along the river.

Old Bend.

**********

2 comments:

S.Dahlen said...

NOVA had a show a week ago that showed how wildlife has come back strong in the area around Chernobyl.

In other words, humans are way, way more toxic to wildlife than melted reactors....

I and about 1000 deer on Awbrey Butte disagree with the claim that humans are toxic to wildlife. I hunted deer on the butte in the 70s and there are 10 time as many now that humans have settled it.

Duncan McGeary said...

Sorry, it was Nature not Nova.

The deer aren't "wildlife".

The basic point is that the increase in health problems to the wildlife because of radiation, which is something like 4%, would be unacceptable to humans.

But when humans wipe out 100% of wolves, beavers, bison, moose, etc. etc. 4% looks pretty damn good.

I think there was a similar phenomenon at the Hanford facility in Washington -- that it was the more unchanged corridor in the west.