Sunday, May 8, 2011

Did I say promotions don't work?

I should probably say, promotions aren't free.

We had a bigger than normal day, yesterday, but if I add in the costs of extra labor and the cost of the "free" books to the store, it was probably a break even.

A break-even with the promotional rosy glow.

I would join in on Free Comic Book Day even if we lost money, because the rest of the industry does it and I want to be part of that.

It is kind of a fun idea.

I might be able to get a bigger result if I actually made more effort, but take out the costs of that effort, and we probably -- again-- break even. I've made very big efforts some years, and other years just kind of went with the flow.

Anyway, this is a successful promotion because it it well thought out, has developed a tradition (first Saturday of May, which is helped by the opening of summer movies), and --above all -- has the magic words FREE.

***********

Spent 3 hours in the garden yesterday. 3 hours seems like the magic number; long enough to get something done, but not so long as to burn me out. If I try do this every day off, I should have the garden in shape for summer.

I was thinking that I was farther along this year, because it hasn't gotten hot yet. Then I look at the calendar. Hell, I remember the bulk of my Mom's gardening being done by now. She usually eased off by late July...

Having the new lawns and sprinkler system helps. Still a bit raw. Need more plants.

If I was really patient, I would buy a truck load of dirt and another of manure and work up the soil before I proceed any farther. Which means another year of getting ready to actually have a full garden...

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I was thinking that I was farther along this year, because it hasn't gotten hot yet. Then I look at the calendar. Hell, I remember the bulk of my Mom's gardening being done by now."

Explanation: The Bend "spring" is getting colder and nastier every year.

Anonymous said...

Crazy MOFU amerikkans, now the great OREO wants to give a rectal exam aka HS home-land security to all 99 of OBL wives, ... does this shit ever end.

So this might be proof he is dead, the fuckers wouldn't be having to flash light the rectums of his concubines had they not killed him.

Like an asian man east or west tells his fucking wife nada a thing? yep, these wives .. this is all about just fucking with peoples minds. A few years ago we the US were crushing the testicals of iraqi children in order to get their parents to 'talk'.

Me thinks the OBL WIFE story is more like the movies you know where even after the guy dies the bad guy still has to fuck with his wife and kids.

Make no mistake the USA is one fucked up homcidal and crazy fucking place.

Anonymous said...

Bend Win's World's Most Wanted Killing Spree!!!

It's now official, the $50M for killing OBL will go to BendBloggers(tm).

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Housing crash is getting worse: report

What a foolish boondoggle those tax breaks for home buyers have turned out to be. The government spent an estimated $22 billion between 2008 and 2010 on tax breaks to prop up the housing market. All it achieved was a brief suckers’ rally that ended last summer.

Anonymous said...

You have to wonder what brought homer out of the dark, and so on-topic and firm, and no non-sense;

Me thinks he has been working hard the past 2 years;

Don't do it homer, don't return to blogging it will wreck your life.

On the other hand, things are REALLY going to get bad as you know which is even a better reason than before to keep a low profile.

Well the 'incentives' did serve their purpose, they passed some gravy to the folks who write mtg's and gave the realtors some sales. When you think of 'scale of stimulus' it was really nothing compared to the trillions that the FED has given the banks who run this country.

With serious talk about removing the MTG-DEDUCTION, I really think we'll see the end of most of the sector involved in homes. I read the other day that kids wanting to be a 'stock-broker' is down 90%. The jobs are gone. It will be same for realtor, and loan-orginator, ... those will all be jobs that are only memory. So fucking what, ... the world moves on.

Yes, the housing crash is getting worse. But remember what I always said, it will be not until 2012 to clear the ARM's, and then Bend has a 2 year lag, so maybe 2014 for a 'bottom', my only wrong is my 4X low for $120k medians, now I think we might very well see Detroit prices below $50k for a home in Bend.

Bad? For fucking whom? IN SE asia $50k will still buy you a mansion, I think white folk will go much lower in quality in life. China now requires a months wages for a SE-ASIA person to get a tourist visa. It will be the same for a US citizen maybe a weeks wages to get a visa to see a world class country. USA is reverting to a penal-colony, ran by homocidal dicks. ( repuglicans )