Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday irk, and finally a shrug...

Showed up for work at 12:00 and there is a partially assembled, or disassembled, I can't tell which, Jazz stage in front of my store. A big huge U-Haul truck, and stacks of jumbled wood. A tattered backdrop.

Oh, so attractive.

What, they couldn't find enough Jazz bands for two days? Actually, it looks like they constricted down to the westside of the alley, and are on street level. Which is probably better for the audience in any case. More intimate. The stage was a little much for 3 and 4 piece bands....

On second glance, all the chairs are stacked to the side, so I suspect they are done. I'll keep this an open thread, and report through the day how it looks.

Customer's comment: "It looks like a construction zone, like nobody is supposed to walk here." I've seen couples veer away, just in the short time I've been watching.

Saw a "Event Staff" t-shirt walk by, and snagged him. "Are they going to set up the stage again?"

"I don't think so...."

"Is there any way you could remove all this? It looks like a construction zone."

"I know," he says. "I'll see what I can do."

Hey, if they actually respond to my concerns, I'll be happy with them.

I got a hold of Linda and asked her to bring my digital camera down, so I can take pictures of the glories that is Bend Fest, or rather, the carcass of Bend Fest that was left rotting in front of my store.

Another customer's unsolicited comment: "It's a war zone..."

You know, a picture is worth a thousand words--


THE NEXT DAY>

Nevermind. The pictures would have been somewhat damning, but so what? I'm not deluded enough to think they'll quit these events. And as I've said before, they no longer seem to hurt sales.

I apologize after that big lead up.

You know what? I had a good day. Probably because of the Fest. So forget about it. No harm, no foul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's always the split second response to an annoyance that allows it to grow or quietly pass. Years of knowing that and I still fail half the time.

I've kinda accepted being labeled grumpy, except for the times it annoys me.

Glad your numbers are holding up. Good luck.