Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pikachu and speedoes

I have a friend who's sister happened to be in San Diego at the same time as the comic-con. They have a friend who is a singer in a lounge bar down there.

"Everyone says he sounds like Frank Sinatra," she said. "He hates it when people compare him to Sinatra..."

"What he should say is, 'No, you dolt! I sound like Perry Como!'"

Anyway, she was in the bar listening to her friend when this 'old' guy started hitting on her. "He must've been in his seventies!!"

He introduced himself, but she had never heard of him.

Turns out, this was an actor who once had a MAJOR role in a MAJOR movie -- and I do mean MAJOR! -- but who hadn't done much since.

"Women never used to pay much attention to me," he said, "before I was MAJOR CHARACTER."

Anyway, she successfully fended him off. He was back the next night, but his heart apparently wasn't in it. He was hungover, and wanted to go home.

"In fact," he said. "Why don't you take my San Diego Con badge?" With the MAJOR CHARACTERS Name on it....

"Did she?"

"She took the badge, but when she drove up to the convention, she spotted a guy wearing a Pikachu mask and nothing else but speedoes.... so she kept driving."

(Because of the wonders of Google, I don't want to embarrass the guy, so let's just say he one among a NUMBER of actor's who have had this MAJOR ROLE. Just wink if you know who I'm speaking of, please....)

No comments: