Saturday, May 12, 2007

My wife wanted to see Northwest Crossing, so we drove out there last evening and looked around. The long and short of it -- she liked it.

I didn't. Something about it just grates on me. I'm admittedly a reverse snob. But that isn't the main reason. In order of importance, to me.

First and most important, the houses are set too close together. They seem out of proportion to the neighborhood. I really, really don't understand why -- if you have the money -- you wouldn't want privacy and space.

Secondly, it has the same relentless style. Yes, many different floor plans and shapes, but the same colors and overall style. Faux Craftsman. Shades of green and brown. It reminds me of the old review of a Katherine Hepburn performance; "She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B." Northwest Crossing runs the gamut of styles from A to B.

Third, the whole neighborhood seems messy and unfinished. "For Sale" signs everywhere, and even the houses that aren't for sale don't look occupied. Lots of empty space with cinder blocks and clumps of exposed wiring. Even more shocking, the lawns are already unkempt! I'm sorry, despite it's advertising campaign, it doesn't look all the walker friendly to me. When we drove back to the east side of town, which is put down by newcomers, I couldn't help notice has many MORE nice big trees there are in the residential areas. Back then, I don't think they just bulldozed everything.

In ten years, the place might actually start to look good, as owners add their touches, as the incomplete lots are filled in, and turnover slows down. But, again if you have the money, why would you want to live in a construction zone for ten years if you have a choice?

Plus, to me there is a real danger that the place won't fill in. That it will freeze in place. And that would make it very unattractive.

It just seems unlikely to me that all these developments are going to pan out. But I must admit I never would have expected the developments that have already been built would ever happen either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ned,

I don't know if you noticed, but there is NO drainage.

About 50% of the home have full-basements, and all the water comes inside, the house's are too close together and the rain pools between the homes.

Folks that have carpeted there basements have all engaged in a class-action lawsuit.

Over 1/2 the homes in NW-XC are investment homes, and $800 will get you the keys on a month-to-month rental. In five years this will be the biggest section eight housing complex in Central-Oregon.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I think the lawsuit re: water in the basement is in Shevlin Meadows, which is closer to Shevlin Park. NW Crossing is nearly all built on sloping land.