Monday, March 5, 2007

That's it; I'm growing my beard back. My wife has a new nickname for me; Crash Possom. I liked Wiley Coyote better....

Managed to spend only 200.00 of this weeks budget on liquidation product; which leaves most of my budget to spend on reorders for the first time since I started keeping track. (Actually, I spent 450.00 on liquidation product, but I neglected to hit the 'send' buttom on my book order last week, so I subtracted that. Books are turning out to be one of the few things I can actualy wait a week without harm.)

I'm letting the most important books sort of perculate to the top. I'm finding that if I order each week the books that brought attention to themselves in some way, that I keep improving my stock. This week, there was a rave review of a China Mieville book on Salon, and I had two requests for the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Cry, the Beloved Country, by Paton, so I'm going to order those. I asked a woman who was raving about my selection of books which one book I should order I didn't have, and she recommended Perfume, by Susskind. 5 to 10 great books a week and reorders on what sell, will get me there eventually. No mediocre selections, just the best.

I think it would be possible to create a true POP CULTURE EMPORIUM. First, you find a place where you have good foot traffic, otherwise don't even start. Then you pick the best 50 items in each pop culture category: music, video games, dvds, books, comics, graphic novels, toys, games, cards, etc. Each month you let 10 of those items fall away to be replaced by 10 newer hot items. (I picked 50 items, it might be that the proper level is 100 items, or 500 items. Depending on room and resources. Either way, you bring on 20% new each month, and let 20% old drop away.)

So that is the backbone of your business.

Then, you keep a very close eye on all the liquidations and closeouts that are available in every genre. Because your net is so wide, chances are there will always be stuff available. If the product is at all what you carry, and you can get it for a minimum of 30% less than wholesale, you buy it. That will be the bulk you use to fill in the cracks, which gives you wider selection.

You let the mid-list fall away. Anything that is 'pretty good,' or has a limited audience. You offer to special order it: "I'll have it for you by Thursday...." Otherwise, you concentrate on the best-sellers or the bargains.

I think it would be a very interesting store.

Oh, well. In another lifetime.

No comments: