Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Too many board games?

I have to believe that board games will soon be facing a reckoning. 

There are far too many games being released for the number of games we actually sell. Every day I get someone in asking for a game I've never heard of--and it is never the same game. Many are Kickstarters, even more are exclusive to some distributor or website or another. Far too many aren't available when we try to get them.

Meanwhile, the games that originally enticed us into the market, games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne, are being offered in every big chain store, thus no longer unique to us. 

Thing is: even the old standbys weren't a sure thing. They'd sell in waves, but many sold for a short time and then stopped. Some never sold. 

The old rule of thumb is that 20% of your product will make 80% of your profits. When you are no longer selling as many of the twenty-%ers, it's nearly impossible to make up for it in increasing variety. You'll be told that "You should carry the stuff that Target doesn't," which begs the question: "Why aren't they carrying it?" Well, because they can't make money off it and neither can we.

My experience in the past is that this is a no-win situation.

The only bright? side is that it is also unsustainable. Too many people jumped into the pool at the same time and there needs to be some clearance. Either that or it will become an online thing. Or perhaps, like sports cards, it will take 30 years to make a comeback.

I'm carrying the old standbys and whatever I can get of the rarer games that actually sell. But I'm not going to chase after every new game in hopes that I can sell one copy. I'll maintain my inventory and wait and hope that things change. 

Meanwhile, the rest of the store is booming.

No comments: