Sunday, June 13, 2021

They're back!

Another article in the Bulletin today about what they called "a plaza." Says there was "mixed reaction" to the proposal, which I think is an understatement. No news that the Downtowners have delayed the proposal.

It almost doesn't matter, because they'll be back. It's very clear to me that the city management is all for the proposal. I suspect the city council will be inclined to listen to them, sadly.

When you bring up the failure rate of pedestrian malls, these "experts" answer is that is different this time, that they know what they're doing. But closing the streets and adding landscaping was the same in the past as it will be in the future. No one had explained why it's different this time. I guess they're smarter than the guys who did it before?

Actually, there is a huge contradiction in their approach. What's "different" this time is that plan a constant series of events. (Which hurt business--no one seems to deny this anymore)

When I pointed this out, they more or less denied it. Which I thought was a little devious--of course they'll use the plaza--for Everything.

I still think it's more likely than not they'll do this. I'm going to be talking to Sally Russell today, as much as I can (I'll be working at the store.) All we can do is try.

 

No comments: