Monday, October 5, 2020

Saying it out loud.

 For one of the few times in my business life, I've decided to step away from opportunity. 

We are doing amazingly well. I almost hate to say it out loud because I want you all to feel sorry for my little bookstore. But not only isn't the coronavirus not hurting us, I do believe it is actually adding to our business.

So opportunities have opened up for a bit of growth. New accounts with major suppliers.

But I'm already feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the increase in book sales. I'm spending a couple evenings a week doing nothing but orders, then spending an equal amount of time at the store doing orders, and then spending between one and two afternoons a week stocking.

Turns out, when you double your sales on books, you have to work twice as hard. Actually, it seems like much more than that. I don't know why.

This on top of the two days a week I'm working (I know, I know...boohoo...working two whole days!) But I'm very busy in the store while I'm there and I come home pretty exhausted. I sure know it in my bones the next morning.

I've come to the conclusion that people are coming into our store because 1.) we're interesting enough to be entertainment, and 2.) there aren't a lot of other places they can go for entertainment. In other words, business is good not in spite of the virus, but because of the virus. 

That was unforeseen.

It's also possible people are reading more. I'm not seeing the same increase in board games, which is a bit of a surprise, but then people have to gather to play games, so maybe that's it.

Anyway, back to my original point. I've been looking at opening several new accounts that would give us economic advantages in discounts and shipping.

But they would definitely add to the workload. I should also mention they would require initial financial investment--and I'm thinking that, for once in my business life, it might be nice to get a little ahead instead of playing catch-up.

So I've decided--for now--to forego the opportunities. They would add more work to an already stressful time. I will look at it again in the near future, but for now, I've decided to maintain the current system. Believe it or not, that take a great deal of willpower, but when I look at previous times of growth, I've realized that I probably would have been better off not being quite so aggressive, but instead consolidating the growth as I went along. 

Again, a nice problem to have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good idea to old off, Duncan. I have a sneaking suspicion that between the second wave of the virus and the presidential election, there is going to be some short term uncertainty that is going to generate a great deal of confusion across the planet and throughout the States more acutely at least for a while. Which could result in less money being spent at your store.
Either that, or you are missing out on a fantastic growth opportunity. Who knows?
Glad to hear you are doing so well! We moved to Canada from Bend in August and are enjoying The America Show from a safe distance. Most Canadians I’ve spoken to think civil war is highly likely due to the current divisions in your society which cannot and will not be resolved by the election. We are all worried, but still drinking beer and saying eh a lot. Hang in there, eh? Cheers, Owen