Thursday, August 27, 2020

L. Ron Hubbard was a sociopathic lunatic!

I'm reading "Astounding," by Alec Nevala-Lee, which is about John W. Campbell, his coterie of writers such as Heinlein, Asimov, and L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of S.F.

I already know a lot of this, but this goes into much greater detail. I'm going to probably write about this book some more, because there are all kinds of evocative things in it, but for now--halfway through--I think I can safely say that L. Ron Hubbard was always batshit crazy--a full-on psychopath; a charming, charismatic, lying loser. He failed at everything he did, then lied about it all, made up shit that for some reason others believed even thought it was ludicrous on the surface.

You want to know what it reminded me of?

A certain current president.

Same bullshit, same narcissistic psychopathy, the same amazing phenomenon of gaining followers despite it all.

Same thread of paranoia and destroying everything and everyone around him. Even some of the same type of political extremes.

We really are just monkeys.

No comments: