Tuesday, January 14, 2020

I get a lot of random thoughts that the world probably doesn't need to hear, but which I want to say aloud. Saying it on Facebook or Twitter highlights the thoughts a little too much. A blog probably isn't the way to go either, unless I gather them little by little and simply dump them on the world.

I suppose if a thought isn't worth highlighting it isn't worth expressing, but damn, isn't that most of life?

Anyway, here's a collection of such random thoughts, for what they're worth.

***Bob Dylan often comes close to self-parody, and then he'll sing something so brilliant that I can forgive anything. Maybe genius is coming that close to making a fool of yourself. He truly is a poet in that every line can be understood differently each time you hear it.

I made the mistake of listening to an explanation of one of my favorite songs: "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts."  The explanation made sense and took all the mystery out of the story, dammit.

Anyway, I've been listening to Dylan daily for months now, and I still haven't lost interest.


***7486 games of Klondike played and I'm exactly even at the bank, with a 9% win rate. Yes--that's what a writer does all day. This writer.


***Someone on Facebook posted a quote from Hunter S. Thompson about (to paraphrase) how you should seek out adventure instead sitting by the sidelines. Oh, and how did that work out? A burned-out husk of a writer who put a bullet in his brain?

There is nothing wrong with the quiet contemplative life--there is a lot to say for such a life. Besides, I think that adventure (danger) finds everyone whether they seek it out or not.

But most importantly, the young can be led astray by YOLO danger-seeking--and I need only look at my own risk-taking in my teens. Just saying. Introverts unite! Quit letting extroverts make you feel guilty about wanting peace and quiet!


***Jasper is the first male cat we've had and it's a different experience. He's a real extrovert, a talker. He stomps around the house (so that his nickname is Thumper.) He's a sweet cat, likes to cuddle and sit on laps--when he wants to. He's also the most intelligent cat we've had--(Don't tell Linda that: she thinks all our cats were smart, and pretty, and sweet, and...) He understands pointing and verbal commands, though he doesn't always obey, of course. He's fully adult, so he came with his own set of behaviors and we're still adjusting to each other.

No comments: