Friday, May 4, 2018

A little research goes a long way.

"TIme In/Time Out" continues to surprise me.

I want every chapter to click. Which means that I'm not writing if nothing clicks.

What seems to be happening is that a few days pass, but when I do finally click I write more than usual, so it almost evens out.

I have five Larping scenarios to write.

I woke up this morning with one of them firmly in mind. Completely out of left field.

I recently read a book about the Eiger and mountain climbing and that's the scenario I woke up with. (Funnily enough, I was using the "random knowledge is helpful to a writer" point when I mentioned the book--to be followed by that exact thing happening.)

So spent four days not writing, but then came back yesterday with 4000 words, which makes up for at least one of those days.

This is a totally wish-fulfillment book, starting with the protagonist winning the lottery and going from there. I don't care. It's loads of fun to write and hopefully that fun transfers to the page.

I'm not really as conversant with Larping or Cosplay or gaming as much as I probably should be to pull this off, but I decided by setting it 20 years in the future I can make up my own rules.

Plus I'll do some research when I'm done.

I'm listening to "Led to the Slaughter" and I'm amazed by how much historical detail is in the book. I mean, I don't remember over-researching it. A couple of pioneer accounts and some Googling. But it rings true.

In other words, a little research goes a long way. Imagination can do the rest. I don't have to be hanging off the side of Eiger to imagine how it feels.

1 comment:

Dave Cline said...

Duncan,

Google blogger is such a dead end... You'd have so much more reception on WordPress. Seriously. 80 million bloggers, many of the writers, all willing and anxious to share and climb aboard a heavy train chugging up the Mountain of Success (which I think you're riding solidly, wheels on both tracks.)

> starting with the protagonist winning the lottery and going from there. I don't care. It's loads of fun to write and hopefully that fun transfers to the page.

Resonates with readers -- like a pluck from humanity's psyche. We all want this. And 7 billion of us dream EXACTLY THIS.

Your proliferation astounds me. Run, run, run like the wind Bullseye!