Monday, March 26, 2018

This is the book the way I want it.

I know I said I was done with "Shadows Over Summer House" but I still had 18 epigraphs to write. I figured I'd do those slowly, maybe over the course of the month while the book was with my editor, Lara.

But started on them yesterday, got a couple of good ideas, and ended up writing 17 epigraphs in one day, so I now have enough to cover all 37 chapters. 2800 words, making the novel 93,000 words so far.

The epigraphs tell a parallel story that is pertinent to the main story, but also completely separate. It could have been a novel in itself, if treated as an outline.

To me, it adds just enough extra flavor to make the book better.

Today I'm printing out the 37 epigraphs, cutting them out, and lining them up in the order I think they should be. Kind of an old-fashioned method I remember using a lot when there were no word processing programs. 

So, well dang me, but I really like this book. At the same time, I can see how it might not work with other readers, for various reasons.

Don't matter. This is the book the way I want it.

No comments: