Sunday, November 13, 2016

The backstory of "Said the Joker to the Thief" is sort of falling together.

I'm about 33 pages in, which is sooner than usual. Not all the backstory, but enough to give me some ideas.

I'm going back and doing the necessary changes as they occur to me. I think I can risk doing that now. When I first came back to writing, my #1 unbreakable rule was not going back and changing anything until I was finished.

But I think I've got a handle on my writing now, so I know just how much I can get away with.

It's a lot of fun to write fantasy again. Not sure why I stayed away from it for so long. I'm really not worried about writing the same old fantasy as everyone else, because I do tend to go off on my tangents.

I just wrote a chapter that was almost all dialogue, which I rarely if ever do. It's funny to be doing the scans of Star Axe. I was afraid of dialogue back then and avoided it whenever possible, even paraphrasing things that probably should have been dialogue. Much more narrative storytelling, instead of progressing the story by scenes.

I've come a long way.

Interesting, frankly, that Star Axe got published, but my current writing can't even get the attention of an agent. I think the field was just easier to break into back then, simply because it was so hard to get into back then, by which I mean, if you were willing to do everything you needed to do, there was a fair chance you'd get a fair hearing.

Nowadays, it's just too easy. Too easy to write, too easy to send, too easy to get ignored.


No comments: