Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Snow! The Snow!

I'm going into the store today to finish up some work that had to be done anyway. 12:00 to 4:00.

Once I get past the first residential block or two, it's main roads all the way into the downtown garage. 

If no one comes in, fine. I kind of like kicking around the store on a snowy afternoon. But I'd also love it if you came in spend money. Heh.

This month reminds me of Feb. 2019, which was way, way below average. I looked it up and my records say "SNOW!" printed in big block letters. 

An act of God. Thank God it has never happened in December, which would cost tens of thousands of dollars in profits. I'm aware of the danger every year. 

It's part of the cycle. 

What's different nowadays is that the unlike the old days, when I ordered the bulk of my product months in advance, I now order most product on the week I need it. So I can easily adjust. My wholesale order for books this week, to replace all the books I sold as well as bring in new ones is only about 25% of normal. But the overhead is easily covered. 

I don't think I fully realized how hard it was to sell product like comics and card games and sports cards. I had no control over cash flow; huge orders would arrive when I could least afford it, and small orders would arrive when I most needed it. 

Gives me a nervous twitch to think of those days. 

It took me decades to figure it out, but I finally did.

No comments: