Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Opinions, opinions, opinions...

Do you guys really want to hear my opinions?

I'm just working this stuff out myself, trying to figure out what's happening. So a couple of recent news stories.

1.) The resurgence of Indie bookstores.

First of all, I think this is slightly overstated. It's not like they're doubling overnight. There does seem to be a steady drip of new bookstores--but there is also a steady drip of bookstore closures. There also seems to be quite an overlap. That is, bookstores that opened less than 5 years ago already closing.

Anyway, as I always try to point out, opening a bookstore isn't the same thing as creating a successful business. I've noticed over the years that even businesses that are failing will hang in there longer than you think they will.

A recent article talked about how the closure of Borders opened the door to Indie stores. However, in Central Oregon, it obviously had no effect. We never had a Borders and the Barnes & Noble appears to be still going strong. Yet we've had a number of Indie bookstores open locally--and then close.

The other point this article made is that many of these stores are being opened by people who could probably make more money somewhere else or who have already had successful careers. I think this is true--and it isn't necessarily a good sign. Sometimes what helps a store survive is the necessity of making it work. Anyone who opens a business who doesn't NEED to turn a profit...probably won't, and also probably won't stick with it forever.

2.) Street closures. It appears that the downtowners are finally making enough noise about street closures to effect change. I have my doubts that they'll succeed, or that the changes will be significant, but more power to them.

At least there is the acknowledgement that it isn't good for business. It was something I started talking about, oh, I don't know THIRTY FRICKING YEARS AGO!

Ah, hem. Anyway, they are talking about limiting events to two a month during the summer instead of three, and making sure that the events are no more than two days INCLUDING the setup.

That last point is important. The biggest change that happened over the last twenty years wasn't the number of events but their creeping expansion.

For example-- the bike race (which is now gone), went from being a "Twilight" criterion, happening after closing, to a full day event, plus the setup the night before. Just about every event pushed the boundaries as far as they could push them.

So hopefully the downtowners will be able to get the changes made. But I'm not all that optimistic. It sounds to me like they're being placated by event organizers "communicating" better. Which is pretty damn useless.

"I'm going to negatively impact your business--but at least I'll tell you about it beforehand!"

My own store has mainstreamed enough so these events don't kill us--they are annoyances more than anything. But I'm pretty sure the specialized businesses downtown (imagine being a barber shop for instance) are still being hurt.

If the city councilors will only listen. 

No comments: