Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Preliminary review of the year.

We are well ahead of last year. In fact, this looks to be a record month.

This increase is almost entirely due to new books. So next year's goal is to continue to expand new books as much as I can. There are a few more tricks up my sleeve. I can add a top row to the Young Adult books, and I can fit two book fixtures where the used books are now. I'll probably move a lot of the art books over there, clear away two book fixtures for new books. Also adding a new top shelf--a trip to Home Depot is in order. Move some of the offbeat books into the Indie graphic novel section.

Maybe more of a move into non-fiction books.

It's fun and it's challenging and it's what I know.

Comics have stabilized, though they are down a third from three years ago. Graphic novels have increased however. We've always had a good selection, and over the last year we've been displaying them better. We're maintaining the same level of space and investment. Sabrina is doing a fantastic job, reviving manga and Marvel graphic novels where I was falling down a bit.

I think we can maintain board games at about the same stock level, though I'll probably consolidate the space a little. We still sell the big three--Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne more than anything else. D & D continues to do well. We were a little down for Christmas, but nowhere near as much as I feared.

I've found a way to sell magic that works--keep the older brands around at regular price for as long as possible.

I pick up toys whenever I can get them at a discount, except for rare exceptions, (Baby Yoda?), and this seems to be the best way.

Jigsaw puzzles were a moderate success, more than paying off for their inclusion. Don't know how well they'll sell outside the Christmas season, though.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the trends. I'm hoping comics can make a bit of a comeback, but really, if you start including the new young adult graphic novels into the mix, the art form is in great shape and it looks promising for the future.

We've had increased competition from the mass market in graphic novels and board games. We are somewhat protected from this because we are in a busy downtown and tourists are in OUR store, not Walmart. Our selection is unique enough to work. That's what I'm constantly trying to do--make our store different.

I'm really glad to be back to working in the store two-and-a-half days a week. It's fun to talk to people--with the added bonus that I almost always sell one or more of my own books to people. I've gotten really good and timing; when to mention "my" books into the conversation.

Plan to get back to writing and walking next year.

As I've mentioned. Next year will be Pegasus Books' 40th anniversary. I'll brag about it a lot. Heh.

I'm very grateful for the ways things have turned out.

No comments: