Monday, July 15, 2019

Every damn twinge.

Every time I get a twinge in my chest I'm aware of my mortality.

Linda was gone for the whole day, yesterday. It was a sample of what life would be without her. It wasn't pretty. Didn't accomplish a damn thing. (Well, I did mow and fertilize the lawn, trim some hedges, and do some weeding. Exciting life I have.)

It reminded me of the decade I spent mostly alone when I was depressed. But there was a weird compensation, somehow. I had an enormous appetite for media: movies, TV, music, and books. Especially books. I'm not sure I could do the same today.

The difference is--I'm not frightened I'm not going to have enough money for the next rent check. Yea!

I just don't have the desire to write. The longer this goes on, the less desire I have. Am I done?

Chances are I'll spend more time on this blog if I'm not writing fiction.

Is there anything wrong with just relaxing? I have inherited enough of Libby's puritan ethic to feel like I'm failing if I'm not doing something challenging. More than anything else, that was what writing novels represented for me. Every time I started a book is was a chance to get it right. Looking back, it doesn't seem like I varied all that much in quality, though it got easier to do.

I suspect that some idea will overtake me that I simply have to write.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Duncan, if you never write another word, you should know that you have left your mark in the minds of many with your witty, intelligent, humorous, unique, and creative books. You are a gifted writer. I wish contentment for you in whatever you do or don't do. Lauri Bonn

Dave Cline said...

Get off your sour duff, Dunc.

Go tangent, if anything. Write a romance, I mean full on romance story. Doesn't have to be novel length. Your Summer House showed that you've got the chops and depth to evoke a righteous love story.

So, write a heart wrenching love story. Just remember to infect them all in the end with a zombie virus.