Thursday, March 1, 2018

The introverted store owner.

I had to work today for the first time in a long time. (Cameron is off the a comic convention in Seattle.)

I found myself getting nervous and even excited. Dealing with the public for 8 hours can be a challenge.

So I did it for several decades, I put on a very outgoing persona to get through it, sometimes more outgoing than others. I mean, the outgoingness is genuine, but not usually called for in the rest of my life, and for the last few years I've been writing, which is a loner activity. So talking to so many people is both energizing and enervating.

Anyway, the day went smoothly enough but now that I'm home I feel like I've been run over by a truck. It's just not my normal life anymore, it's not a routine that I can simply fall into. I think because I'm there so seldom I tend to over engage with people, therefore burning all the energy I have.

At the same time, I like it. I mean, it wears me out but I like being around people like that where I'm in my own place and I'm somewhat of an expert and I can talk about books and comics and movies and Bend and such.

4 comments:

Dave Cline said...

Could these people be a source of inspiration for characters? (Should you be taking notes while you man the store?)

Duncan McGeary said...

I started writing a story based on some of my more unusual customers, pretending they were aliens and Pegasus was a waystation.

This was while I was still trying to get started, but before I took off enough time to really get going.

Duncan McGeary said...

"Ye Olde Time Travel Shop."

Anonymous said...

Cameron? Don't you mean Sabrina?