Monday, July 18, 2016

Approaching 50,000 words on Tuskers IV. Still haven't transitioned into the endgame.

On one hand, I'd be worried if I didn't have any ideas for the ending of this book and this series.

On the other hand, I worry if the ending comes too easy. There is the danger of it being too pat, too predictable, too boring.

I don't think books need twists for twists sake. But they are always nice when they come naturally. In this case, I've had a "thematic" structure to this book in mind since the beginning.

I figure I need at least 2 chapters in each of the three POV camps, to reinforce the character relations, before I bring them all together for the climax. That's one thing I've learned over the last 3 years--that a book can have an architecture, that the story nestles within, that gives it a solid framework.

Pretty certain this book is going to be bigger than the other 3 books. I'm going to try to keep it within 10,000 words, though. I think it's okay to be that much bigger.

Humming right along. I worry I have too much going on--too many characters, too many plot developments, but that always seems to happen when I'm wrapping up a series. Had the same problem with Blood of Gold in the Vampire Evolution Trilogy. I want to resolve all the various storylines, try to include all the major characters in some way.

I tend to write new characters into every book in a series. In fact, the new characters more often than not, take the lead.

The assumption is that not that many people are going to read the 4th book in a series without having read the previous 3, but I think it's incumbent on the author to try to write a stand alone book for the reader who finds themselves stranded with a single book, say the 4th book in the series, and reads it. Hopefully, that reader can still understand and enjoy it.

Besides, the book is the book, and there is only so much planning I can do. The subconscious decides. Yes, this is right. No, that is wrong.

It's just a feeling, but you go with it.

No comments: