Friday, June 10, 2016

Moving on to Zombielander.  Going to try to outline the book, for once. I have about 70% of it written, but need to add about 30% to include other characters in the first half of the book. The second half can pretty much proceed as written.

Story usually comes to me through writing, so outlining isn't a natural thing for me. But in this case, it could save a lot of trouble down the road.

Need to work out theme and character motivations a little better.

I'll have at least four Famous Author chapters, starting with JRR Tolkien, but would love to have one more Weird writer that everyone knows but who is pretty much in the past. The first book had Poe, Lovecraft, Howard, and 'Holocaust writer.'

I've written C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams chapters, but not quite satisfied with them. Need to fix those. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells aren't dark or fantasy enough. I'll think of someone. Maybe Kafka?

Undecided whether to do Cobb's Bestiary. For one thing, I'd need to add some Faery critters, and for another, most of the additions would not be as on point as they were in the first book. Then again, I kind of like them.

Later:

All right. Sketched in the book. Really only need to write three or four completely new chapters, but...lots and lots of transitions. It's all about the transitions. Easy to leave one out. So I'm going to go ahead and get started.

Write the new chapters, stick them in, then work on the transitions to make it all flow naturally.

Neato.

No comments: