Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Dreaded Rewrite VII

I found a really clunky chapter about 25 pages from the end. I worked on it, but it was balky.

So I did something I almost never do anymore.

I drank some wine, waited for that moment when I'm halfway between sloshed and hyper-competent, and spent a few hours trying to fix it.

It came out well, at least better than it was, and since I was stuck before, it was worth it.

As I said, this is not a great solution, and it's a bit of a rabbit out of the hat solution that can only be used sparingly. For one thing, most of the time it doesn't work...

So now I have 25 pages to go. The rewrite has definitely improved the book, so I'm glad I did it. It's strange how hard rewriting is, compared to writing a first draft. You'd think it would be the opposite.




No comments: