Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Had my Countrywide Home Equity Loan suspended yesterday. Now this shouldn't have bothered me -- I had no intention of doing anything but paying it off. Still, it was nice to know it was there.

Called them, and they said they were doing it to 'everyone' and that the terms could be 'reviewed.'

Asked the girl on the phone. "If someone who has made double payments on their initial loan for 21 months, and double interest payments on our HELOC, isn't worthy of credit, who is?"

She laughed, and said she'd bring it up at the next meeting.

Then I got one of my two credit card payments: It looked, for all the world, as if they had raised my rates from 9.99 to 37.37% I went to WaMu and asked them just what the hell it meant. While the bank manager was calling the credit card people, I pulled out my savings, paid off the card in full, took the rest as a cashier's check and handed it to Linda and told her to pay down on her credit card with it. (From the moment I accepted credit cards back in my life, I made a deal with myself that I would keep an equal amount of dollars in the bank for every dollar I borrowed.)

I'm pretty sure, after the dust settled, that the terms hadn't really changed -- it was something about adding all the possible charges over course of the year -- for instance cash withdrawals I hadn't even made -- but I tell you what: If it confused the guy on the phone and the manager of a Bank, the terms were poorly phrased.

I also closed the card.

Woke up this morning feeling that I had totally overreacted. I just removed a great deal of money from access, at a time when things are looking dicey. I also completely cleared out one of my savings accounts when cash is king. Wish I hadn't done that. I did pay off a card, which isn't all bad. And I suppose another card is probably in the mail today, or tomorrow. I've been thinking that, if I'm going to use cards for business I should get some travelers miles or something.

This is one of the reasons I'm just not a great businessman. I blow a fuse on a periodic basis and make major decisions that hurt my own situation.

But I also woke up feeling better than I did last night. I certainly can make a case that it's better to pay off money I'm paying 9.99% on with money I was earning, what 1.5%? interest?

Still, I'd also feel better with that cushion in the bank.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have a credit card you should definitely get a Rewards Card. The best I have is one that pays me a cash reward based on my purchases whenever I want it (US Bank visa). And I have never paid them a dime of interest -- always pay in full every month.

tim said...

The credit card companies are going crazy.

They're not approving purchases when you're a couple days late on a payment. They are raising rates at will.

There's a lot of nervousness in banks about the consumer, and this is how it's coming out.

Anonymous said...

OK, anytime YOU want buster to let loose on this issue I will, as you know dunc over a year ago I explained the collapse of home-loans, ... so far everything I have predicted has occured,

Next to go down is credit-cards, they too are sliced, diced, an re-sold as paper-money on the market all assuming that all credit-card debt is like gold.

The stuff is all sold at auction, and NOW all these auctions can't sell this shit, no buyers. What your seeing is the 'very few' people who pay with a credit-card will pay the bill for all those don't, and that's most. We're figuring 20% defaults here in BEND, nationally credit-card default will be higher, its going to be ugly.

You did the right thing. Pay off credit card debt, and if you need to use cards use debit cards. Yes, Cash is king, but these credit-card people can pull any number they want out of their ass.

I say again, its going to get ugly, this is why VISA just went IPO, and MC a few years ago, and AMEX, they're all getting out, because they all know its over.

It's over. Start having 'cash' deals for your sales, you customer that has been using credit-cards, count them as gone dunc, start being real nice to debit card customers, and cash-customers, cuz they're the one sticking around.

All these credit-card users are going to disappear. Even people who pay off the balance monthly are going to get fucked by charges. The only safe place to be is DISTANT from the traditional credit card.

The CREDIT-UNIONs have real nice cards, with first-tech I get NO bullshit, and pay 8%, and pay off every few months. Thus if you MUST use a credit-card get one from a credit-union, which floats their member money, and doesn't have to go to auction.

RDC said...

I get one through Charles Schwab. Pay it off each month. Get reward points, though I usually take them as cash (1%). Pretty good organization to deal with (if you can say that about any credit card company)

Duncan McGeary said...

A credit company who doesn't extend credit seems pretty doomed to me.

There is a definite sense of desperation in the air. I think Countrywide really wants me to renegotiate -- somehow, I doubt it will end up with better terms for me.....

The credit card people have raised their 'default' rates to astronomical proportions -- and I just refuse to even risk that.

So yeah, who's going to borrow from them but people who can't afford to borrow except at exorbitant terms. Or the very rich, who don't need to.

If they ignore the vast middle, seems to me there is no future for them.

They're scared of us right now.

RDC said...

Why on earth are you making double payments on your mortgage if you still owe money on credit cards and your Heloc?????

Pay off credit cards
Pay off Helo
Then make double payments of main mortgage.

Unless you like giving money away.

Duncan McGeary said...

rdc,

You're right. This was a wake up call, and I'm going to do exactly that.

I got started paying double, with the intention of doing it for three years, and cutting my mortgage time in half, and also getting the mortgage insurance out of the way.

Once I got started, I didn't want to break the string.

Now? Starting this month, I'm getting rid of the credit cards and then the Heloc.

Meanwhile, I called the bank manager today to thank her for her help, and to tell her I was putting most of the savings back from other funds.

She never called me back.

Nevermind.

Anonymous said...

A credit company who doesn't extend credit seems pretty doomed to me.

*

Dunc, Your a merchant, I'm a merchant, you probably pay 1.5% on a visa, I pay 5% to AMEX on mail orders, this is how they make money off merchants ( that be US dunc ). I have had a merchant visa account for over 30+ years, I only know too well what a racket they have had, for when you think about it, zero-value added.

The MONEY is NOT their money, to offer as credit, their only middle men, who collect a cut of OUR sale. The money is GONE dunc, just like home MTG, its GONE dunc.

Get over it, and enjoy the future.

Duncan McGeary said...

Oh, there'll be lending -- predatory lending.

Up to now, they were willing to loan regular folk money and hope they fell behind, or got in over their head.

Then they got you.

Now it looks like -- in their desperation for more suckers -- that they're trying to turn all lending into predatory lending.

And changing the terms, jacking up the rates, steadily increasing the fines and fees, until you find yourself in trouble.

The only people who will get normal terms are people who don't borrow....

Everyone else they'll hack at.

Duncan McGeary said...

An why not? Up to now, they've gotten away with it.

Is there a person in this world that hasn't at some point in their life let a 23.00 electric bill pass their notice a day too late?

That's all it takes. There seems to be no limit to overdraft fees and interest rate increases and late fees.

I haven't had any of them hit me for years now, so I was shocked when I looked at the 'change in default terms' and saw what was possible. Wow.

If everyone who has the cash to pay off their credit cards paid them off in full and said, until you start behaving we aren't going to borrow money....

like that is going to happen.

We really are turning into a third world country, aren't we?

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm pretty sure Countrywide just wants to get me in a room and say, let's renegotiate. We'll consolidate, remove the time on the Heloc, blah, blah, blah.

Maybe they could even do it.

Maybe that would make their books look better, too.

But they have a big problem with me.

TRUST.

I don't TRUST them.

Jason said...

It makes me glad I got rid of my only credit card years ago. Debt is nothing but trouble.

RDC said...

Why use Countrywide? Why not chage to a local credit union or some other institution for your mortgage?