Saturday, June 30, 2007

Was talking to a sub-contractor friend, wondering where all the workers -- who were building twice as many houses last year -- went. He said, many of the Portland outlets, who had come in toward the end of the bubble, have packed up and headed back. That would explain part of it.

Was having one of my many discussions about downtown Bend, and asked an out-of-town customer standing at the counter what she thought. "You are so screwed," she commented. "It's very strange that you have offices selling destination resort deals in a yuppy, tourist downtown. Just goes to show what's important in the local economy."

I went home last night, and there was several local Realtors advertising on T.V. I hadn't really noticed that before. That seems unusual as well. (And, oh by the way, to me, posing with your two wolfhounds just makes you look pretentious, not sophisticated....)

Looking through the Source and seeing all these fancy new stores -- located on the outskirts of Bend, on streets I've never heard of. Only someone who has never lived here would pick those locations.

Which got me to thinking about all the stores who not only have popped up in the last few years because of the bubble who are also dependent on the bubble continuing.

I remembered the guy who had a flooring business from Portland, who commented that there were more flooring businesses in Bend than Portland. (Portland's pop. being roughly 500k, and Bend being 75k) That can only be explained if many of these flooring businesses are servicing the new contruction.

I'll use Longview, WA as my test case, because I just was there, and researched it a little. It's a town that grew from 30k to 35k in 10 years. So, they needed, at, say, 3 people per house, to build 1666 houses in ten years (166 houses per year.) Let's say, and now I'm just making up figures to make a point, that existing houses need flooring replaced on the order of 3% a year basis, or roughly 300. So, lets posit that there are three flooring outfits in Longview, who split the new and the old jobs, each doing 155 jobs a year. Any new flooring business would have to eat into or replace the existing available jobs.

Take Bend with the same numbers. Under the same made up criteria, there might be a need for 750 jobs a year for existing houses, which would make room for about 5 ongoing outfits. But there might be many more outfits who are servicing the NEW housing. What happens when they stop being built? Extend that to roofing and landscaping and plumbing and electrical and furniture and....

We are so screwed.

3 comments:

Pearl2Lotus said...

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a growing number of locals in town who rarely go downtown anymore. Parking is a nightmare, and it’s becoming filled with overpriced shops that seem to cater to the tourists ($75 t-shirt, anyone?), including the bizarre storefronts, as you mention, that sell the big resorts. I avoid it like the plague between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm, and then so many shops close by 5:00. I’ve had this conversation many times, and people are looking for other places to shop. I know that may not be a welcome comment here, and I certainly don’t mean it as a slight to your shop. What I’m saying is that shops are opening in other areas … even on streets and in areas you may not have heard of … as people look for an alternative to driving across town or the craziness of parking downtown. I know we have the garage, but the sad and lazy reality is that no one wants to park there to shop down towards Franklin and Wall. The nature of a growing town, for better or worse, is the expansion beyond downtown.

Duncan McGeary said...

No slight taken. It's been a perception for many years, actually. Though you may be right and it's getting worse.

The parking garage, despite my early misgivings, is a pure good. It works. I think they've done a lousy job of letting people know how easy it is to use.

I've tried to gauge whether its getting too inconvenient for my regulars, and so far most of them are fighting their way through.

Downtown stores closing at 5:00 or 5:30, like closing on Sundays, is one of those asinine things they do which has always made me so frustrated. (And then they close the streets as often as possible and make it even MORE impossible for my regulars to get to me.) Argghh.

As far as opening stores outside of downtown. There are plenty of spots on Greenwood, Franklin, Division, even 3rd Street that might work. I mean, eliminating any possibility of walk by or drive by traffic seems crazy to me.

Bend Economy Man said...

"It's very strange that you have offices selling destination resort deals in a yuppy, tourist downtown. Just goes to show what's important in the local economy."

Megadittoes. What I guess was kind of cool about the Bend boom through 2005 is that at least it wasn't a hard sell. Now it's gotten more shrill and desperate - you can't avoid the pitch for timeshares, condos, housing developments, golf course memberships.

And of course, for purposes of the commercial RE market, I shudder to think at how much office space in Bend is devoted to real estate-related ventures...